Saturday, September 15, 2007

El día de independencia

Today is independence day for Nicaragua. And this is a new thing for me, obviously. Yesterday was a celebration of winning a battle, can´t remember the name b/c i am horrible, but from what i learned it was against what i believe were american marines, and the Nicas won. (they were out numbered and fought by throwing rocks, so that´s kinda of a big deal, i´d probably celebrate too). But yesterday was huge, parades in everytown, traditional dances and the works. Today, nothing.No parades, no festivals, no fiestas, nada. And i wwas really hoping to get to go to a fiesta or two. Guess I´ll just have to wait :)
Anyways, life is going well with the new family. They are very kind and hospitable. They are always home and spend lots of time talking with me (well more like talking and i try to catch what they are saying so that i can say something in return.) Its actually not that bad, just the different accent is hard to get. i need to talk with lots of different ppl so that i get used to it. Oh, but i have a huge room! seriously think it is bigger than the last one, and definately bigger than my room in my last apartment! Crazy. I have an inodoro, so in that since i have very lucky that i do not have to use a latrine. It doesn´t flush, I have to poor a huge bucket of water into the bowl to flush it each time, and this my friends is a science. You have to raise the bolde high enough in the air that it has enough force to flush the water, but not so high that you splatter the water all over yourself and the entire bathroom. lol, which of course it has taken me many attempts, along with an instructional lesson from my sister. oh the joys! it´s a good thing i´m not shy. hahha. oh and i finally get to take bucket baths. i actually prefer them. i can take my time and not feel that i am wasting water. and its honestly not as cold. I wish i had more time b-c i have an hilarious story. but i will have to wait until next time.
love and miss you all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis, great to hear form you...Your lil Sis went to homecoming tonight and she looked very pretty in your dress...she go lots of compliments!!! She also had sectionals, but they did not get to go to regionals, they were 4th and only the top three get to go....She was sad:( Sounds like things are going well. Say hello to your family for us back here in USA,,,love ya.....MOM

Unknown said...

Mix, I love you, but your spelling is horrible. How did you graduate from Purdue. And your mom is a teacher?!?! Just messin. Good to hear you're doing well and you get to plant some trees soon. You'd think down there in the rainforest they'd have enough trees. And stick with it when it comes to the language. My buddy that went to Mexico had a hell of a time, but after six months, you'd a thought he was born there. Anyways, miss talkin to ya and having you distract me from my hw. Give me a call sometime if you got $$$ on the cell.