Friday, September 21, 2007

Attempting to be Nica

Felt like writing in this color b-c i feel that it describes my mood! hahahahah today was long, and busy. and i definately went through some different moods. but all in all the day ended so positively. We had training all day. Which is good b-c we get to meet current volunteers and pick their brains apart about every possible scenario that could happen in the schools or at our sites in general. the meetings (charlas) always run long, i´m sure they love us! hahahaha. I also met the volunteer that I am going to be visiting in a week! YAY! I could not be more excited to see how things are at a site. It is definately really really far from where i am now, but hopefully i´ll be able to travel most of the way (4 hr bus ride) with another aspirante and then she will meet me in the department capital and we will ride another 2 hrs by bus to her site! That is definately going to be an adventure! hahahha. I am really hoping to go shopping tomorrow! hahahahha yeah im defintely roughing it huh. hahhaaha actually i have not been yet, and its not like i am going to be going to a mall. definately some outdoor markets. Hasler, you would definately appreciate it when i say that i times i feel like i am living in the Suzanna y Javier book. hahahhaha
All in all i have no complaints. I just hope that my spanish is improving more than i can tell. As my facilitator (spanish teacher más o menos) told me, we are each our toughest critic. But i know that i speak easier than before (out of necessity as well as practice) but i am wondering how much vocab i am really truley remembering and how much just comes in one ear and gets lots in translation.
This is week has been the longest by far, and from what i can tell they just get busier. I am slowly but surely gaining confianza with my new family, i truly do love them all dearly. I have one mom (her husband passed away 5 years ago, but was dearly loved, and i wish i could have met him, he was an agriculture engineer and new everything about the environment from what they tell me) I have two older sisters. One is in her late 20s and the other only a few years older than i am but has 2 children. So I have two neices, ages 8 and 2 1/2, that i absolutely adore! And all of her friends as well. But they are great, have a great sense of humor, and are extremely patient with me - and love to talk with me which is extremely important.
Nica people are definately some of the most hospitable i have ever met! Its amazing how i can walk up, introduce myself and they will invite me to sit in a rocking chair with them (b-c everybody has at least 4 in their home) for hours literally and are all patient with my broken spanish. It rains at night, which reminds me of the rain in florida and tends to get me missing the beach and my family at moments, but then i wake up in the morning to a new day, some coffee and pinapple and look out the front door at the street and realize that this is where i am supposed to be!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey emmy! i miss you glad to hear youre having fun it does sound like an adventure lol. hope all is well stay safe and remember we all love you back at home!!!!
-colerz

Anonymous said...

Emy, I know you have been looking forward to being in the Peace Corps for a llllllooooong time, so YES, you are right where you want to be! It sounds like maybe reality is setting in and you are adjusting just fine. Keep up the good work and enjoy your new family and all that they can teach you. We all love and miss you and and so, so proud of you.
Love,
Aunt Nancy
P.S. Your care package was sent on 9/20 !

Mandy May said...

Hi Emalee,

I want you to know I think about you. Especially when I hear anything on the news about Nicaragua. I know this is a rich experience for you and it will change who you are. Your steps are guided by God and HE will keep you safe. Just look for HIM in the little things. You'll feel HIS love. I proud of you for being brave to step out of the "box" and explore opportunities beyond the boundries of our little community.

God Bless you, I love you , Girl.

Sincerely,

Mandy May

Sam said...

Dummy, I know about your blog. I posted here before. Good to hear that the hurricanes missed you entirely. And, yes, you are a nerd, but that's OK. Anyway, the Florida rains are going on strong just like there it sounds like. I'm interested to hear what you'll actually be doing 'on site,' so keep up the posting.
-Sam

Anonymous said...

how cool! Susana y Javier have come to life! :) gotta love it! i'm still thinking about you all the time and talking about your adventures with my kiddos here. love ya Margarita Mezcla!