Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hola todos!
Estoy en Nicaragua!!!!!!!!
I cannot believe that I am finally here. Pre-service training has been awesome, just getting to know the other voluntarios and my fellow trainees. Our hotel is beautiful, but haven´t gone exploring yet so I don´t know much about my surroundings. Saturday is going to be a big day though. that is when I meet and begin living with my host family! today we had our spanish evaluations - that was fun, hahaha not. But they need to know my level. Apparently we are grouped according to our spanish speaking abilities, so i will be with 3 or 4 other ppl that speak the same level as i do, which is good. besides that, not a whole lot is going on. getting shots and getting to know the staff and bits and pieces about the country. I don´t know where my site is yet, but we find that out tomorrow! I am sad to leave some of my new friends. On Sat. the aggies are splitting away from us and are going te be living in towns that are like 3 hours from where all of us Env. Ed. ppl will be. The next time I will get to see them is for our swearing in ceremony. But I´ll at least be fairly close to other EEs. Few things that I have learned so far - wear bug spray all the time! well actually that´s really the main thing that i have learned hahaha. Also, when it rains here, it rains! And I do not mean carry a strong umbrella, i mean stay indoors until it stops if that is at all possible. hahaha But it´s amazing at the same time, it was soo humid yesterday, and during the day it is very hot, like mid 80s at least. But it starts to cool down very early, around 5 or so, for instance I am wearing pants and a tshirt right now and would be completely comfortable outside- that is something that I cannot even say about Florida for most of the year. Also, I have learned that this is the rainy season, and it lasts from roughly may until december. and then the rest of the year is extremely dry, but apparently you can´t truly grasp it until you´ve lived through it.
Oh also i am looking forward to having weekly access to writing b-c for the next 3 months we will be going to a city once a week that will be large and have internet cafes! Also, when i get to my permanent site, i should be getting a cell phone. and incoming calls are free! (but outgoing ones are very expensive)
Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emalee!! I am so excited for you and LOVE that you can post your progress so we can keep up on your adventure. Glad to hear things are going well and you will be close to a city and to the internet!!! Take care sweetie. Lots of Love from Florida ...Jamie

Grandma Logan said...

Hi Emalee! Jamie forwarded me your blog so I could access it & keep up with your adventures. I'm looking forward to hearing about your host family & accommodations!
Hope all goes well with that.I sent you a card as a test to see how long the mail takes. Hope you get it!Keep safe. Love you!
Grandma Logan

Sam said...

Hi there kid. Sounds like all is going well. Really, it's hot? I'm shocked (joke).

It's good to know you won't be entirely incommunicado down there. Have fun and stay well.

-Sam N.

Anonymous said...

Hi Emalee. I hope you are still safe from the Hurricane. It sounds like you will have the time of your life. Take lots of pictures. We miss you.

love,
Lisa Woerner