Friday, December 21, 2007

I´m Dreaming of a White Christmas...not a dusty one ;)

Well I hope those of you that have it are enjoying the snow! I can´t believe all the snow you´ve had! So i don´t have snow here, but i do have dust! hahaha and believe me, it´s not nearly as cool as snow. Can´t ball it up and throw it at people as they pass, can´t make a fort out of it, can´t make a man out of it, you CAN catch it on your tongue, but that would be gross, and i´m just sure if every dust particle is unique like snowflakes are, i would guess not.
But minus the snow, christmas time in Nicaragua is beautiful. I can´t tell you how many times i have had people ask me, so you dont celebrate christmas there do you, and then when i say yes, people are like,¨"the same day and everything?" it´s fun to share things about our cultures that are alike. They were also suprised we celebrate New Years the same way. ;)
I have been doing well. I have a tos, but that´s the dust´s fault, not mine. The packages i got were from G&G Logan, and Dad & Jamie, thank you guys soooo much! G&G Logan, I absolutely love love love the shirts! and all the other goodies of course, my sisters were laughing at me as to why i had so much miel (syrup, but they don´t really use syrup here so we just call it honey) y jelly. I miss you all very much, Things have been busy, but good. I can´t wait to get my own place, I love living with a family, but I want to start living my way, which sounds selfish, but all that really means is i want to be able to decide when the music gets blared, and when i want to sleep in. Also i want to make a compost and worm boxes, and i can´t do that with all the pigs running through our yard. I might be getting a puppy! We´ll see. I haven´t really decided, i just wish they ate cochroaches like cats do! hahaha. I haven´t found a house yet, but i´m looking.
For christmas i will be going back to masaya to spend xmas eve and day with my old host family, and the 23rd i am spending with other people from my group. so i am very excited!
I wish i had something more profound to write, I always think of good topics when I am at home, but after taking the 1 1/2 hr ride to get into the city, I end up losing them. Merry Christmas everyone! I hope that you get everything you wish for and more, just keep in mind that even if you don´t you still are living in a country with clean streets, clean water, reliable electricity, more than likely are living in a house or apt. that has a ceiling and a roof, not just the latter, and that your house is sealed from the rain, and your walls are not made of thin tree branches with black plastic nailed to the outside. Not to bring you down, just to share some things that have opened my eyes in the past few weeks of living in Tonalá, oh and did i mention how lucky we are to live in a country that has a waste management system, however flawed it is, it is there and we use it and don´t burn our trash. I cannot begin to describe the smell and feeling of breathing when all of my neighbors burn their trash. I would say I can´t blame them, but I can´t. There is a trash truck that comes by to collect, and it costs 10 cords a month i think, which if that is the case, probably only about 40 - 50% of my town could afford it, and 10 cords is roughly 50cents, but it can also buy you 1/2 lb. of beans, and a whole lot of rice, which is the staple diet here.
well merry christmas all! miss you, cuidense!

No comments: